Want to learn about IT Accessibility and Section 508? On this page you’ll find links to online training courses related to the Revised 508 Standards, and accessibility of Information and Communication Technology (ICT).
The following courses cover various aspects of ICT and Section 508 requirements. Note that some courses are also available through the Federal Acquisition Institute (FAI), and offer the opportunity to earn Continuous Learning Points (CLPs). Learn how to access FAI.
- Accessibility of ICT: An Overview for Government Executives - A brief overview of the Revised Section 508 Standards, including roles and responsibilities of key Federal agency officials.
- Detailed description: Covers roles and responsibilities of Federal government executives, including agency heads, CIOs and CAOs; also describes the role of agency Section 508 Program Managers.
- Audience: Agency Executives
- Course length: 15 minutes
- CLPs available?: No
- Accessibility of ICT: Micro-Purchases - How to make Micro-Purchases that conform with the Revised 508 Standards for ICT.
- Detailed description: Using practical examples, this course explains how Section 508 requirements apply to ICT Micro Purchases. All Federal employees who are purchase card holders and are responsible for procuring ICT must be aware of their responsibilities regarding Section 508 and accessibility. Section 508 was enacted to eliminate barriers in information technology, open new opportunities for persons with disabilities, and encourage development of technologies that will help achieve these goals.
- Audience: Government Purchase Card holders, Contracting Officers, Contracting Officer's Representatives (COR), Requiring Officials, Approving Officials and anyone involved in the Micro Purchase process.
- Course length: 30 minutes
- CLPs available?: Yes. Take this training via FAI, course # FAC 047
Courses in Development
The following online courses are currently in development and are expected to be available on this website by the end of December 2017.
- Section 508: What is It and Why is It Important to You? - Introduction to Section 508 and Information and Communication Technology (ICT).
- CLPs available?: Yes. Take this training via FAI, course # FAC 040
- Procuring Section 508 Conformant ICT Products and Services – Basic overview of the Federal acquisition process with regard to procuring ICT products and services that are Section 508 conformant.
- CLPs available?: Yes. Take this training via FAI, course # FAC 056
- Technology Accessibility Playbook: How to Build an Effective Section 508 Program – Describes the 12 plays to integrate strategic, business and technology management into a successful Section 508 program, to ensure Federal ICT is accessible to persons with disabilities.
The Federal Acquisition Institute (FAI) also offers training on IT accessibility. For a list of courses, please visit the FAI Find and Register for Courses page
You’ll need to create an account to register for a class.
- Visit the FAI Training Acquisition System (FAITAS) login page
- Read the notice and select “I agree”
- If you're already registered:
- Log in with your email address and password
- If you are NOT yet registered:
- Choose the link ”Register Here” and follow the instructions to create an account
- Once you log in, your Dashboard will appear on your screen
- Above your Dashboard, you will see a menu bar; select “Manage Career“
- Then select “Training”
- Then select “Search for Training”
- Use the “Standard Search” option; choose “Continuous Learning Modules” by “Course Number”
- Select “Submit” and follow the prompts to complete the registration process
Please email us at Section.firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions about training for IT Accessibility and Section 508 compliance.
Page Reviewed/Updated: November 2017