The Americans with Disabilities Act, the Architectural Barriers Act, and the Rehabilitation Act collectively make the ins and outs of everyday life more accessible for people with disabilities.
Within these regulations, Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 establishes rules to ensure information and communication technology (ICT) is accessible. Section 508 was recently refreshed, and the Revised 508 Standards become effective for federal agencies on January 18, 2018.
- Enhancing accessibility for those with disabilities
- Making requirements and standards easier to understand and follow
- Updating requirements and standards to keep up with changing technology
- Harmonizing requirements with other standards in the U.S. and abroad
- Revised 508 Standards Toolkit - Transition guidance materials developed by the CIO Council’s Accessibility Community of Practice (ACoP), the Access Board, and GSA.
- Procuring Accessible IT - Make informed decisions about accessible IT acquisitions.
Contact the Government-wide Accessibility Team at email@example.com with questions.